Signings? What Signings?

Hello Gooners. I trust you all had a wonderful Festive Season wherein the festivities demand that you;
  • Spend all you have, without regard to the fact that come January you will be broke
  • Drink a lot of alcoholic drinks regardless of the time of day
  • Have sex with a girl you always wanted or the girl who got away (... ahem... it's a time to be kind and ladies become generous this time of year...)
  • Have sex with workmates
  • Buy useless stuff just because it looked good in the shop window
  • Go to church to remind yourself about the history of the story of Jesus' birthday
This particular December was interesting because according to the Mayans, the end of the world was upon us. A lot of people got laid in the name of the end of the world. Now, I could go on to mention the things wish yours truly managed from the above list, but hey, who really wants to know such boring stuff?

I tried to keep up with all things Arsenal during the holidays, but sometimes I suspect when I watch an Arsenal game, we lose! huh! How about that! Then it messes up my day and I become moody and bad tempered. There is always a Mancie nearby, waiting to rub me the wrong way...

We started this year with a draw, after much talk by our manager Arsene Wenger about consistency and sharpness and quality and mental strength (if I had a penny for every time I heard that one- mental strength!). Our last game in the FA Cup against Swansea was 2 points dropped. we were leading with 3 minutes left to play when they equalised. Now we have to replay that match, in between a game against Manchester City and Chelsea. In Fact our next run of fixtures for January are; Manchester City (H); Swansea (H); Chelsea (A); FA Cup (assuming we beat Swansea); Liverpool (H).

Focussing only on the league games, that is a run of 3 very tough games and potential banana skins, if we haven't fallen already. With our team's consistency being as consistent as a bout of diarrhoea, we could get all 9 points or we could get 0 from this run of fixtures in January. My gut tells me we shall get a maximum of 4 points... but then that could just be diarrhoea playing tricks with my gut...

I have long maintained that this squad, given better coaching should be achieving better results. I look at the Manchester United squad and when you compare our squads player for player, except in attack (Robin Van Pussie!) Arsenal have the better players. The problem of consistency is down to coaching and man-management. It is my honest opinion that a better coaching team would get better results from this group. Case in point, look at Everton and David Moyes...

Yes we do lack some cutting edge in some areas of our team. I wrote a piece for makeusdream.com which you can find here in which I said we need 1 Striker, 2 Wingers/Wide Forwards, 1 Defensive Midfielder and 1 Left Back to see this team rise to the upper reaches of the EPL. 

Do I foresee us buying 5 players during this transfer window? no. Do I foresee us making any signings that will improve the squad? I hope so. Arsene Wenger does not seem to have any signings in the pipeline. He seems focussed on making Theo Walcott sign a new deal. Talk of sawing your own leg... Trying to get Theo to sign is just that. If he wanted to stay at the club a deal would have been reached already. A gooner friend of mine recently asked, "Is this all Arsene Wenger is going to do this summer, talk to Walcott?"

I really hope not. Yes Walcott is having a stellar season, as all Arsenal players do before they fuck off (Van Pussie, Flamini, Song, Fabregas, Hleb, Van Bronchorst, TH14, Viera....). What we Arsenal should be doing is looking to flog him off to the highest bidder while we can because honestly I have lost patience with him. I do love Walcott (in a fan-player way you dirty-minded person!) but I still think he is not as good as he thinks nor as good as his recent form suggests. Maybe he will one day join the niche of elite players. That day is still some way off.

And herein lies the problem for Arsenal. Our most potent player (in patches yes) is looking to leave on a Bosman. We do not seem to have any replacements lined up. Surely the club should have seen this coming? What happened to our renowned scouting network? Why can we not seem to find players who can improve this team when we need them?

If we do not make any signings this January, our Chances of winning our perennial 4th Position cup are in serious jeopardy. our inconsistency is not only borne of poor coaching but also lack of quality and rotation in the squad. This problem can only be fixed by ahem! SPENDING SOME F**KN MONEY.

Come on Arsenal, Spend some F**kn Money!



No comments:

Post a Comment