Arsenal Back On Track: Quick Review of Events Past

Arsenal qualified for the Champions League round of 16 for the 12th year running after a 2-0 victory over Montpellier, the French League 1 Champions.

Following the convincing victory (as usual) at the weekend over our so-called rivals ( but not in our class) Tottenham at the weekend, qualification from the group stage of the Champions League was a very welcome thing indeed. I must admit that I have become so used to qualifying from the group stages that I never really think of us failing to qualify. A lot is made of finishing first in the group because you get the team which finished second in another group. Well, all these teams are very good and you can't go into a competition hoping not to play certain teams. If you are afraid of a team, then you probably don't deserve to win the competition anyway.

I know a lot of you Arsenal fans worry about facing Barcelona, and we just might get them in the next round. But honestly, much as we fear one or the other team, they too are afraid of Arsenal. We are not exactly a pushover. Let's give ourselves some credit.

The positives were the goal by Jack Wilshere after nearly 2 years from the game through injury. He is looking increasingly sharper and fitter game after game. Just wait until he plays for England and... arggh! Olivier Giroud was responsible for nodding the ball into his path and Wilshere just clipped it over the on-rushing keeper. That goal will do him the world of good and his celebration showed. I hope he can now start to score regularly from midfeld, cause we need goals from that area of our team

Lucas Podolski did what his left foot is very good at and that is to fire fierce shots into the net. In this case he fired in an amazing volley after a chip from Giroud. Podolski for me is a very good finisher, perhaps even better than (ouch!) Robin Van Pussie. No doubt Van Pussie is a good striker, but I think Podolski is better than him all round. Time will prove me wrong I guess.

African Brother Gervinho has returned from injury, just in time to start preparing for the Africa Cup of Nations I guess... But I hope he continues the good form he was showing before his injury because he does bring something to the squad.

So, two very convincing wins in spite of our dodgy defending... I know, I know.

In other "events" Thierry Henry could return to Arsenal in January for a loan spell- again. I say no! Please go and buy a striker once and for all, I like Thierry but we need some more fire power up front. It's not like we are broke so please Arsene: spend some fucking money this January!

And that's yer lot for now, i'll be back soon with more rumblings on all things Arsenal.

COYG!

No comments:

Post a Comment