Arsenal Cannon Goes Missing; No Gunpowder In The Amoury

Arsenal 0 - 2 Schalke

I have never had the privilege of watching a live Arsenal game. I hope that Arsenal travel to Southern Africa soon, as that represents my best chance of travelling to watch them live. I know, it would be a pre-season tour but hey... I get what you can.

I often wonder what the atmosphere inside the Emirates stadium is like. I watch live Barclays English Premier League games every weekend from the comfort (and loneliness) of my house. I have noted how Liverpool fans sing "you'll never walk alone" before every kick-off at Anfield. They will sing it at the start of the second half and at various times during a Liverpool match- win or lose.

Then there are stadia such as Carrow Road, St. James Park, Britannia .. to name but a few. I listen to the noise the fans make in these places, often for 90 minutes. They cheer their team on, they jeer/taunt/insult/harangue/ harass/ the opposition the opposition. This tactic does not always work for them in that their teams do not always win, but boy to come away with a result from such places you really need to work your socks off and be strong mentally. Bear in mind I observe all these things from my TV screen and my sound system.

I have observed how at the Emirates stadium, you can barely hear the Arsenal fans except when the team is winning. When the team is not playing great, Arsenal fans are often quiet in the stadium and the away fans (who are the minority) can be heard singing their lungs out as if they are the home team. Now, It could be the  acoustics in the stadium, or it could be the television director playing tricks with the stadium sound, favouring the away fans, but I think you get where I am going with this rant.

I could be wrong, but from where I sit (which is several thousand miles away from the stadium) I don't hear the Arsenal fans willing the team on when the players need it most. Instead I hear groans, moans, whistles and aahs when the team are not playing well. The Arsenal players need us now to lift them up. To hail insults at them or the coaching staff will not bring as back to winning ways. The team has lost confidence and appears to be jaded. Not even Steve Bould knows how this happened. But it has happened. The team looks  tired, slow, blind-folded, clueless and one legged.

At home, you would expect Arsenal to have troubled Schalke. I think most fans, myself especially, can live with defeat if I feel the team really played to their best, created chances but were just unlucky on the day. What I cannot live with is the lukewarm performances I am seeing in the past two defeats. This is the most worrying thing for me.

We can point at our lack of creating chances, our poor defending, our jadedness etc but the truth lies here; our midfield is not strong enough nor balanced. Arteta, Cazorla, Coquelin and Ramsey is not a very strong midfield, nor is it balanced. It is made worse by the fact that our best striker, Podolski is not getting a run through the centre when it matters. African Brother Gervinho (ABG) is something of an Emmanuel Eboue at the moment. He has great potential but will he ever really realise it? At his age, I tend to worry. I thought playing him through the centre will make a Thierry Henry of him. why? because he has the same type of awkward dribbling skills, speed and ability to turn in tight spaces. He has been playing as a winger throughout his career and now Wenger decides to use him as a striker. I can see why. And he has shown glimpses of that potential so far with the goals he has scored.

Santi Cazorla looks tired. Period. He needs a rest. A few substitute appearances might do him good. Thomas Vermaelen, for a team captain, does not cover himself in glory when it matters during a game. Aaron  Ramsey cannot play in a wide position. Francis Coquelin is a bad omen. Everytime he plays, we seem to lose.

Andre Santos is not playing very well from an attacking point of view at the moment. We spoke too early about the Steve Bould effect on this team. we are still too easy to break down and we do not close down quickly when we lose the ball.

The worst thing for me is this: we are not playing to the best of our ability. I cannot live with that.

Arseblog does a good job conveying my feelings about the game and the team at the moment.

I will continue to support The Arsenal though. Hopefully the cannon, together with the gunpowder and cannon balls will be found soon and we shall start to fire once again.

COYG!!

No comments:

Post a Comment