Wolves Disappointment; Hoping to do QPR



Arsenal 1-1 Wolves

I sat at home worried that I would miss the game against Wolves because there was no electricity all afternoon and it was raining so heavily that catching satellite picture would be impossible. I suspect the Gods were kind enough to me, only to mock me later, because the power came back just before 5pm local time, kick-off was at 5pm. And the rain stopped.

I settled down on my couch, having exchanged messages with my good friend and Arsenal fan, Tiroyaone ''Abdul'' Gaobowe. We were sure 3 points were coming our away. I popped out a Windhoek from my fridge and settled down in front of my plasma screen to witness the demolition of Wolves.

What happened over the 90 minutes was very disturbing to say the least. You see, Arsenal huffed and puffed (I guess even farted in between) but we could not break down Wolves. Although we were creating chances, the ball just wouldn't go into the net.

In the first half, after we scored, we started to control the game, but we slowed down the tempo and I think this suited Wolves. I had expected us to go at them and get a second and a third, Gervinho looked dangerous in the opening exchanges of the match. But we chose to slow down the game and the slower game allowed Wolves to sit and play on the counter. And they got their goal before half time.

We came back after halftime and really, I must say although we created chances, they were not the best kind. Robin failed on 3 occassions to control a ball over the top when he would have been one-on-one with the keeper. We brought on Arshavin and Chamakh but them two players are really looking out of place in an Arsenal Jersey at the moment.

So for all our endeavour, we only managed a draw at home to lowly Wolves. I said before the game that anything less than  3 points would be a disaster and it was.

To make matters worse, my brother-in-law, who is a Manc, decided to visit. He caught me watching the last 30 minutes of the game. You know you are up shit creek when Manchester United fans sympathise with you...

Looking back now, I think we lack a striker, a player with a fearfactor about him whose mere presence on the bench makes the opposition quake in their boots. The closest we have to such a player is a 17-year old Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. I am fast becoming of the opinion that we should become a bit ruthless with non-performing players and ship them off and try new ones. Players like Asharvin seem to have lost quality and at his age, I doubt he'll get it back. Chamakh is starting to look like Francis Jeffers...

Anyway, to matters more positive. Sagna and Wilshere are expected back late January... Yes, I know, they'll be almost like new signings... *sighs*. The Boss is talking about not buying a full back on the grounds that we have players who can plug the gap until our fullbacks return. I kind of agree with his logic. Theo Walcott is back for QPR tomorrow. Hopefully thats 3 points for us.

We really fucked up the chance to close the gap on City and leap-frog Chelsea... But thats just the Arsenal way...

Sideways march the Arsenal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment